Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Preparing for a newborn - Travel

A list of items for a newborn in regards to travelling:

Car Seat

The safest option for a newborn baby is a car capsule but they only last for a few months until baby is too big to fit in it. Still for peace of mind I recommend starting with a car capsule, which can also be hired from local councils for a minimal fee, instead of buying them.

The RACV has information from tests they performed on child restraints to help you choose the safest restraints. You can see how child restraints rated here.

They also have a calculator where you can enter your child's age and weight to determine the best child restraint for your child here.


Strollers 

I love my stroller.  It's a Swallow Beema that we got from Ebay second hand, cheap, in good condition and with all the extras (sun shade, rain cover and bassinet).  It's also the number one stroller recommended by Choice.

These are the features I think are you need in a stroller:
  • Big wheels make such a difference to manoeuvrability.  I do like the fact that ours has three big wheels.  It is very easy to steer and to get up and down stairs. 
  • Being able to use it with a newborn.
  • A detachable bassinet for when baby falls asleep and you want to take them inside somewhere without disturbing them.  Plus we used it as a porta-bed instead of a portacot when Em was small enough to fit in it.  I also sometimes put her in the lounge room with me.
  • Check that your stroller fits in your boot! Baby shops will allow you to try out the strollers in your boot. Then you can go to Ebay and save yourself some dollars.

Slings

I have two slings which I both love.  For a newborn I recommend the Hugabub (there are cheaper versions you can get online though).  It is tricky to put on but you do get the hang of it very quickly.  It keeps baby very close to your body and distributes the weight evenly over your shoulders and hips.  It is so versatile with many different positions you can put baby in.  Em used to sleep in it and I still use it now sometimes. 

I got an Ergo later on, which I can't recommend highly enough.  You can use the Ergo for a newborn but you have to buy a special insert and I didn't think it would be as cosy for a small baby.  It is very quick and easy to put on and all the weight is distributed on your hips rather than your shoulders.  It's also ergonomical for babies as well as the person wearing it. That means you can use it for hours at a time.  I bought my Ergo online (so much cheaper than in stores).  The only problem with it is that you cannot put baby facing outwards in it.  But Em doesn't seem to care about that.


Nappy Bag

We have two nappy bags, one big one that I use when heading out for a whole day that I pack full of nappies, food and toys. And a smaller one that looks more like a handbag and I put things like my wallet and phone in as well as Em's things. I got both from department stores, which were so much cheaper than the baby stores.


Car Mirror

We found having a car mirror useful to see what Em was up to in the car, like if she was sleeping.
Portacot

If you don't have a bassinet and plan to visit people for long periods of time or to go away then you will need a portacot. I can't comment much on them because we got given a second hand one for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment